Archive for 2015
Registration for the Winter Pre-Dance Session starts today. You can view our Schedule online or download the Schedule and Guidelines as PDF’s. If you are a new student then you will also need to download and complete a Registration and Enrollment Contract. Early registrants can take advantage of a reduced registration fee of $15 if registered and paid in full by 12/19. Students who are currently enrolled are exempt from the registration fee.
Maps showing the line up and drop off points for the Warrenton, Manassas, and Baltimore Parades are available. For all of the parades keep in mind that the roads close early and you will have to park and walk to the Spotlight staging area.
- Warrenton: There is not a designated drop off area for the Warrenton Parade (Spot #: 27) and you will not be able to drive down the parade route. We recommend parking near the end of the parade and walking back to the staging area. Congestion will be an issue given the Friday evening time. Allow plenty of time to get to downtown Warrenton. The parade route is short so walking to the staging area will not take long.
- Manassas: The drop off area for the Manassas Parade is the Reb Yank Shopping Center near Nathan’s Ice Cream (Spot #: 25). There is a drop off loop setup that goes around the shopping center. You can follow this loop and complete the drop off just across the street from Battlefield Ford. They can continue up the street until the see us, which should be line of sight once they get past Battlefield Ford. Another point of reference is Little Ceasar’s Pizza, which is just beyond where we will be. Parking at the end of the parade is probably best as there are plenty of spots in the garage behind the train station and at the Courthouse.
- Baltimore: We don’t have a map showing our exact location, but I know we will be either on Falls Rd. beside the Baltimore Polytechnic Institution or in their parking lot. Most likely we will be on Falls Rd. as the parade organizer usually lets us go early since we come from so far. The parade goes down Falls Rd. and then turns left onto West 36th St. continuing on to Chestnut Ave. where it ends. We will turn onto Chestnut Ave. and go down at least a block just beyond Hampden Elementary School. The school does not have sufficient parking and I do not believe you can park in their lot as is used by the floats and other parade vehicles. If you continue another block on Chestnut Ave. there is a large parking area on the right in what is an office or school complex (Chestnut and 37th St.). From there you can walk back to watch the parade. Parking in the neighborhood surrounding the parade’s end is very limited.
I would encourage everyone to watch the parade to the end so that you walk over the 34th St. to see the Miracle on 34th St. (Wikipedia) Christmas light display. It’s not to be missed as nearly every house on both sides of the street are lit up/decorated for Christmas.
We will be closed Wednesday, November 24th through Sunday, November 28th and will reopen on Monday, November 29th. Enjoy the holiday break with your friends and family and try not to do too much shopping.
We will be open for all classes. Our Annual Calendar shows us as being closed, but this has been changed.
We will be closed as was planned on our Annual Calendar.
We will be chartering a bus to New York City on Saturday, December 19th. All students, parents, and friends are invited. It’s always a great trip and is an easy way to see NYC at Christmas time and there are plenty of things to do including:
- See the Christmas Tree or ice skate at Rockefeller Center.
- Attend the Rockette’s Christmas Spectacular Show or a Broadway show.
- Look at the store windows that are decorated for Christmas.
- Sightsee – Lots of options including a city bus tour that takes you the top sites.
- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Participation is limited to the first 50 people to complete and return the Registration and Liability Waiver forms along with the full payment. We can only accept payments made by cash or check for the trip. In the event the trip is cancelled all payments will be returned.
Please come out and see your Spotlight Dance Company perform at the Manassas Veteran’s Day Parade. The parade is held in Old Town Manassas and starts at 11AM. More information on the parade and their sponsors can be found on their website.
We are looking forward to welcoming our new and returning students back to dance classes. We have been very busy this week answering questions (email and phone) and are trying to get back to everyone. It will continue to busy next week with new students and class changes, so please be patient with us as we will be doing the best we can. If you have not registered for classes please come at least 20 minutes before your first class to allow us to register you.
New Students: Please go to the Downloads page on our website to:
- Review our Studio Guidelines
- Pick out your classes using our Day Planner or Class Listing
- Complete the Registration and Enrollment Contract
If you need help completing the forms or choosing classes please come to the studio during business hours, call, or email. Please keep in mind that you cannot dance until all forms have been completed and tuition has been paid. An adult is required to sign the Enrollment Contract.
Our studio floors were refinished in June and they look beautiful. In order to keep them looking good no street shoes of any type may be worn in either studio. There are no exceptions to this rule. Please use the hallway or changing room to switch shoes.
Additionally dance shoes (tap, ballet, jazz, pointe, and hip hop) are only to be used at the studio or in your home on carpet or a wood floor. We will be checking shoes and those that have been worn outside will have to be replaced. The reason for this as if they are worn outside they pick up rocks and other debris that is brought into the studio and can damage the wood floor. Thanks in advance for helping us keep the floor looking brand new.
Registration continue this week with the following hours:
- Tuesday, September 1st: 8th – 8:30pm
- Wednesday, September 9th: 5pm – 8:30pm
- Thursday, September: 10th: 5pm – 8:30pm